Types Of Content That Will Help Drive More Traffic To Your Business
Four Better Types Of Website Content That Aren’t Blog Posts
When webmasters think about online marketing and the various ways to bringing visitors to their website, the first thing that comes to mind is writing blog posts.
And, they are right.
Blogging is a good way to increase traffic to a website and put the brand out there. But, blog articles are not the only type of content that you can create to market your business.
If you want to take your business to the next level, you should also think of creating other in-depth pieces like white papers, EBooks, and training courses. You should alsouse videos, Gifs, and other types of visual content to increase engagement on social media.
Below are just some of the most popular types of content that you can create along with some advice for how to get started:
There is so much to choose from in the world of videos. A good video conveys a message in a concise and memorable way. In addition, a video can be extraordinarily persuasive if done well.
How do you create a video?
- You need to get the script right. A good script is vital whether you want to create a video of an office tour, a music video, or an explainer video. Note that a video is not about the moving pictures but more about the words you say and how you say them.
- Once you create your video make sure to upload it on YouTube and Vimeo. These video sharing sites are great ways to gather social signals for SEO and improved results for the video search itself.
- Creating a good video is not cheap. However, you can start small by buying your own camera and microphone and just talking in a nutural and fun tone.
- A good video should be two to three minutes long.
An infographic is a presentation of information or data in a visual way. Why are infographics better than blog posts? Because they are more sharable, get more views, and get more engagement than other content types.
A good video will get your information out there in an explosively visual format. In addition, infographics have a huge potential for going viral.
How to do it
You can create one yourself if you have some graphic design skills. You can also use infographic tools like visme. If you don't know how to do it, you can hire a graphic designer who specializes in infographics. If you have it in your budget, they typically start at $1,000.
Infographics are perfect for communicating almost any concept or idea. They work well with data, research, findings, and statistics.
- Infographics are expensive
- There was a time that infographics used to go viral just by virtue of being infographics, but that does not work anymore. Everyone is using infographics. So, you need to market it appropriately to get a good return on investment.
- You can create a gifographic instead. They use the infographic model but feature animated gifts instead of the static images.
Who does not love memes? They are easy to make, viral and hilarious. The main benefit of a meme is their humor. People love things that will make them laugh and share.
How to create memes:
- Memes do not require graphic design skills. You can create your own memes using meme creation sites like Quick Meme and Meme Generator or you can use MS Paint or Photoshop1.
- Memes work best on social media.
- When a funny idea strikes you or the mood hits, go ahead and meme it.
- Memes are adaptable. The best thing about memes is that you can use them in any niche.
- Avoid overusing them.
A guide is a detailed or long piece of content. Think of a guide as an epic blog post. A guide goes beyond the style, length, and approach of an ordinary blog post.
How to create a guide
Writing a guide requires a good designer, a good idea, and a good writer. The writer has to produce top-tier content. In addition, the designer needs to know how to present the content in an attractive way. The idea has to be suitable for your audience.
- You can use guides as a bait for harvesting email addresses. You can ask your audience to register their email address for a free guide.
- Look for a talented designer and writer because a guide should look good and have valuable information.
5. Book Reviews
A book review is a simple elaboration of the contents of a book, and the writer's personal view of it. You can recommend the good books in your niche, analyze the not so good ones, and share the value that you collect from them. You should write book reviews in your blog because they position you as a thought leader in your niche.
How to write a book review:
A book review can be as complicated or as simple as you want, but generally, it should take the format below:
- Introduce the book: 1-5 sentences
- Introduce the author: 1-5 sentences
- Summarize the book’s major points
- Share what you like in the book
- Share what you did not like about the book
- Recommend it or not
- Provide a call to action: Link to the book
- Book reviews only work if you have a readership that is inclined to read books.
- They are more helpful if you review pre-releases, new releases, or include an interview with the author.
6. Product Reviews
Just like book reviews, product reviews can will portray you as a leader or authority in your industry. Every industry has its unique array of services, software, and products. You will get more recognition and respect if you engage and provide reviews on manufacturers, key developers, or service providers. All you have to do is share your experience with the product and say whether you recommend it.
How to review a product
- Introduce the product
- Introduce the producer
- Describe the product
- Share what you like
- Share what you do not like
- Provide your recommendation
- Provide a call to action
You may want to create a video of the review if the product you are reviewing is a physical item. A video helps you to take a hands-on approach to the product as you review it.
7. How-to Articles
How-to articles are the most popular types of content online. They have an amazing long tail search potential due to their popular long tail query introductions. For instance:
"How to write…” and "How do I…?”
How to write how to articles:
- Look for a problem in your field
- Introduce the problem
- Introduce the solution
- Discuss each step of the solution
- Summarize the discussion
- Provide a conclusion
- The options for How-to are inexhaustible.
- The more detailed your explanation is, the better. Videos, pictures, and diagrams can all help enhance the how-to blog.
Listicles have an endless appeal because they are easy to read and understand. This is why even popular magazines use listicles to get sales. One can never go wrong with this content type.
How to use lists
- Decide what topic you want then pick a number of items to include in the list.
- Use a simple format while writing your list. Introduce your topic, list your points, and offer a conclusion.
- The more detailed your list is the better
- Long lists are awesome too
- You can create a large list of items, or give a more detailed one.
Interviews are unique. This is because you will be the only one with that kind of information. If you can interview a leader, you will gain a lot of respect from others in your field not to mention the huge traffic that comes with it.
How to carry out an interview
You have to invite the interviewee and set up a time to talk, then:
- Introduce the interviewee. Make sure you generate anticipation and excitement.
- Ask questions and let the interviewee answer
- Continue with the question and answer format until the end
- Conclude by thanking the interviewee and offer a call to action for your audience.
Make sure you provide a written summary or an overview of the interview if it is an audio or a video.
10. Original data and research
Most people work in data-intensive fields where metrics and numbers hold a lot of value. Sharing your findings with others is a powerful way to build trust, establish authority, and drive traffic. People respect the fact that you took time to work hard and research.
How to research
- Find a good research topic, investing time and effort into researching it.
- Present your data in an engaging way. Share percentages, concrete numbers, and other details that engage the user’s interest.
- Professional research studies can be costly
- Package your research as an infographic to create secondary value from all your research
- Take the customary reporting and convert it into content.
- You can charge for the research if it contains important industry data.
11. Industry News
You can monitor your industry and report on the biggest news that affect your readers. Your audience will notice if you are the first one to market great news consistently.
12. Opinions and Rants
One of the best ways to publish viral content is use controversy. This should not be your number one goal but rants have a way of being super-interesting. Take a stand on a popular belief and turn it on its head.
Templates create an easy to follow guide for doing something. For instance, you can create templates for writing a sales letter or a professional resume so that people who are interested in doing so can do it on their own. Like guides and ebooks, templates are an effective way of building your email list because you can as your users to provide their email address to download them.
Diagrams are a great way to demonstrate relationships and organizational flows. Diagrams help to explain complex processes and can be shared on social media to create more exposure to the original post or website.
15. Cartoons and Comics
Humor helps you get your point across in a memorable way. Who does not love humor? However, not all comics or cartoons need to be funny, necessarily. Computer generated or hand-drawn cartoons can tell a step-by-step story too.
Screenshots are one of the best ways to show examples of digital content to prove your point. Social media examiner almost relies on screenshots to supplement their blog posts. You can include at least one in every five paragraphs to break the monotony of the text.
17. Animated GIFs
Animated GIFs take screenshots to another level. They complement demo content and show how something works or how to use a new feature on your blog, website or in your software.
18. Marketing Automation
Marketing automation includes sending emails to your audience after they complete a specific action or sending a newletter to readers every morning.
The more types of content you use the more powerful your content marketing efforts become. Regardless of the type of content, it must speaks to your target audience. That audience in turn learns, shares, converts and listens.